Michael J. Beatrice is a graduate of Fordham University School of Law and has been in the General Practice of Law since 1977. During his impressive career, he has regularly obtained dismissals and not-guilty verdicts in the courts of New Jersey. He has represented physicians, police officers and members of their families, fire fighters, other attorneys, politicians, FBI agents, IRS agents, clergy, teachers, union members, public officials, and thousands of ordinary citizens throughout the state.
Scoring in the top 1% on the Law School Aptitude Test (LSAT) helped convince him to pursue a career in law, and throughout his career, he has had a singular focus:
“My primary focus is on what my client needs or wants and what’s good for my client. I will do what I have to do to win for my client, without regard for the impact it has on me.” —Michael J. Beatrice
From 1977 to 1982, Mr. Beatrice served in the Bergen County Prosecutor’s Office where he successfully prosecuted all kinds of cases, from homicide to DWI / DUI. As a certified police instructor, he also taught in-service training courses at the Bergen County Police Academy. From 1982 to 1983, he served as Special Prosecutor for the Borough of Fort Lee, and from 1988 to 2004, he was the Municipal Prosecutor for the Township of Mahwah. Since 1982, he has maintained a private law practice in both Hackensack and Mahwah.
Born and raised in Lodi, New Jersey, Mr. Beatrice has been a long-time resident of Mahwah, where he and his wife raised two children. Active in the community, he founded the Mahwah Education Foundation in 1988 and served as its Chairman for 11 years. Mr. Beatrice also chaired the Parish Council of Immaculate Conception Church, served on the Board of Advisors at St. Joseph Regional High School, and was a Trustee on the Mahwah Board of Education. From 2001 to 2013, he was the lawyer coach for the County Champion Mahwah High School mock trial team.
- Admitted to practice before the U. S. Supreme Court, the Supreme Court of State of New Jersey, and the U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- J. D., Fordham University School of Law, New York, NY
- A.B., College of the Holy Cross, Worcester, MA
- Trained in Standardized Field Sobriety Testing, National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA)
- Special training in Alcotest Breath Testing Device, National Draeger, Inc. Learn more
- Certified police instructor
- Co-author, Arson Investigation and Prosecution Manual, published by NJ Division of Criminal Justice
- Member of the American Bar Association, New Jersey State Bar Association, Bergen County Bar Association, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, New Jersey Association of Justice and the Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers – New Jersey
As a defense attorney motivated to win every case, Mr. Beatrice is inspired by these words:
“A courtroom is not a place where truth and innocence inevitably triumph; it is only an arena where contending lawyers fight not for justice, but to win.”
—Clarence Darrow, American Lawyer